Blog - LJ - ClaimID - Alcorn - Mad About - Habits - Soup - Sites - Friends - Bruce - Ange - Bootstrap - Net Savoir - Cloud Pics
My title is thus
Talking to myself...



Smange Facebook Fan Page

My status Angela Alcorn
Subscribing

 Subscribe in a reader

 Subscribe by Email
If you want to subscribe to a selection of stuff I do online, try this feed.
To collect my writing back into one place, I've made a Facebook Fan Page to collect all my best professional writing, including my work at MakeUseOf, NetSavoir, Vegemite Croissant, Stage Left Events, Bootstrap Your Life and more.
To browse other sites of mine, see my ClaimID.


Daily Mugshot



Twitter Updates
    follow me on Twitter
    www.flickr.com
    By Title
    Why do you blog?
    Talking to a few...
    Ange & Bruce Alcorn



    Widget_logo



    Fun Links
    Delicious Tags


    Latest Links

    Make Money Blogging


     
     Friday, June 05, 2009

    Why do you blog?
    I got approached by a student friend-of-a-friend to do a survey about blogging. So, I figured it would be quite apt to blog the response.

    1- Why do you blog?
    Mainly to stay in touch with friends, keep a record of fun stuff I've done and ideas I've had. I also have a few blogs which involve more professional writing on topics to do with my career, and others for topics which might help people.

    2- How often do you blog?
    A few times a week (If I'm good).

    3- What do you write about?
    Personal updates, things I think about, travel, expat issues in France, social networking, event management and self-help (in several different blogs).

    4- What is your main motivation to keep updating?
    Personally, to keep my friends updated. Professionally, to ensure I am actively learning more about my field and proving myself to be an expert.

    5- what is your pen-name?
    Smange is my username pretty much everywhere, so it's a sort of a brand for me. But I use my real name, Angela Alcorn, rather than an alias if that's what you mean.

    6- Do you have anything else interesting to add?
    I think a lot of people mix up all their blogging into one blog, whether they're talking about personal things or professional. This doesn't really lend itself to providing a service for the subscriber as they want you to stay on topic. I figure if my friends want to see ALL the things I write, they can look at one of the lifestream services (like Friendfeed) where the posts are all brought back together again.

    7- Is being anonymous important to you? Do you keep your online blog and your real life separate? Why?
    Sort of. I'm careful to keep enough information private that I won't end up with real-life stalkers or something coming back to haunt me in any way. I also take a lot of care ensuring that my friends' safety and reputation (especially kids) aren't compromised by what I say online.

    I write with the thought that anyone can read this (and might one day), so I make sure I would be happy for any of the following people to see it: Future employers, current employers, police, my grandma, stalkers, friends, my friend's employers, government departments, anyone in my photos or who I talk about etc.

    I'm fairly open around those guidelines, but it does mean that I generally keep quiet about some things. Anyone who only knows me from blog posts has a filtered, sanitised view of me. Not that I'm wildly different, but I'm sure they'd be a little surprised at least.

    Posted at 7:35 PM #

    Comments:
    View Comments »